Fire Departments are turning to recruitment videos to help their efforts, and they are using them in many ways throughout the recruitment and onboarding process. Firefighters and EMS leads are interested in learning what running calls is like, and are seeking authenticity and transparency. Hearing from actual department members about what it’s like to respond to tones and serve is a great way to attract talent. It’s also a great way to build authentic connections, which can help candidates see themselves joining your department.
I often recommend using recruitment videos as a creative and effective way to attract potential fire & EMS members to a department. Here are some creative ways to use recruitment videos for first responders:
1. Highlight the benefits of joining your department: An effective strategy is to highlight the benefits of working for your department. This can include everything from state-of-the-art apparatus, to free professional certifications and benefits, to unique training and career advancement opportunities.
2. Show the impact of first responders on their community: First responders play a critical role in keeping our communities safe and secure. Showing first responders’ impact on the lives of the people they serve can be a powerful way to inspire potential candidates to join your department.
PRO TIP: Work to get your videos seen and drive engagement on various platforms like streaming services and movie theaters.
3. Create a “day in the life” video: One way to give potential candidates a realistic view of what working as a first responder is like is to create a “day in the life” video. This can give them a sense of the challenges and rewards of the job and the skills and knowledge required to succeed in becoming a volunteer firefighter, EMT, or support/auxiliary member.
See how South Metro Fire Rescue showcased a ”Day in the Life of” Firefighter Justin LaBorde.
4. Showcase the diversity of your department: One way to attract a more diverse group of candidates is to showcase the variety of your department in your recruitment video. Highlighting your first responders’ different backgrounds, experiences, and cultures can help potential candidates see themselves as part of the team.
5. Use social media to promote your video: Once you’ve created your recruitment video, promote it on social media. This is a great way to reach a wider audience and attract potential candidates who may have yet to see volunteering or joining your department as an option.
Recruitment videos can be a highly effective way to attract potential first responders to your department or organization. By highlighting the unique aspects of your department, showcasing the benefits of working for your organization, and demonstrating the impact that first responders have on their community, you can inspire the next generation of first responders to join your team.
If you need a station video, video production, animation and photos for your department, don’t worry; we’ve got you covered from start to finish. Whether you’re looking to recruit new volunteers or career applicants, or to showcase your station’s mission, we have the expertise to turn your ideas into creative, compelling multimedia to impact recruitment and retention in your department.
BY WALTER CAMPBELL, RECRUITMENT & RETENTION STRATEGIST
Looking To Improve Your Social Media Reach And Your Recruitment And Retention Success Rate? First Arriving Can Help!
Complete our Online Inquiry Form or Email [email protected] today.